Wednesday, September 2, 2009

And Now for Something Slightly Different

I have moved! So, so very far away. An entire 1/2 mile, in fact. I still have the same zip code, which you would think should have made the process somewhat less of a hassle.

WRONG!

After nearly busting my ass trying to avoid hitting an oblivious pedestrian on the ride home I drank two glasses of cheap red wine (three buck chuck cab from Trader Joe's - had to finish the bottle anyway) in quick succession to calm down and immediately began to move. Two van loads and three car loads later I was able to pass out in my somewhat navigable new bedroom at midnight.

Though I was a complete zombie at work yesterday I managed last night to set up the kitchen with Meredith (roommate for another round) and later we set up the living room with Dan (new roommate.) Once again a pass-out time of midnight.

However a set-up kitchen plus cooler weather means I was able to stretch my cooking muscles last night. So much counter space! And a dishwasher! Magical.

I finally fulfilled my pasta craving from the other week, though I couldn't find GF farfalle so I used fusilli instead. Cooked that up to squishy perfection and coated it with olive oil in which I had sauteed diced bell peppers (red/green/yellow, wish I had had the time to mince them but was far too hungry at that point,) some diced onions leftover from my other dish, and roasted garlic. Topped it off with Adobo seasoning for some serious yum. Also: vegan. Brought in some leftovers for lunch!

The other dish was a wilted spinach salad, this week's craving. Got a bunch of organic stuff from my much smaller but much closer neighborhood Whole Foods. Threw in the aforementioned diced onions, some minced non-roasted garlic, and chopped grape tomatoes. Topped it off with lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, and feta cheese crumbles. Seriously? Sometimes I impress myself.



Hopefully these two dishes will feed me through Saturday when I will be getting on a plane to the Left Coast! So excited for my trip. Spending Saturday through Wednesday just outside of Portland with my youngest aunt, Trish, then spending Wednesday through Sunday in San Diego with my friend Luke. I simply cannot wait to cook for these two. I love to cook for people important to me and try to impress them. Especially Aunt Trish, since she's such an amazing chef herself!

I'll report back on my gustatory and other adventures when I'm back on the Right Coast.

Later days.

No comments:

Post a Comment