Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Snack Attack!

Yesterday I had a dilemma: I craved artichoke.

This was a dilemma because not only is it hotter than Hades in my kitchen, even without the oven on, but I had a limited window between getting home from work and arriving at a very swanky hotel bar for a good friend's (Emrah's) send-off party.

Hasty solution: I sidled into Trader Joe's on my walk home from work to procure a log of garlic & herb goat cheese and a can of artichoke hearts. At home I had a box of hazelnut Nut Thins. Ta da! A simple, tasty, no-cook dinner to be consumed while watching an episode of Cowboy Bebop and drying my hair.

(By the way, did you know that any two note fanfare, such as ta da, is called a tush? Well, according to a friend's father who teaches music at Phillips Academy, anyway.)

The bar that required me to actually do my hair and put on a nice dress and heels was Alibi, in Boston's Liberty Hotel. Very posh. I broke my 31 days of sobriety with a sidecar, which I have christened as "my drink." For the time being, anyway. Caught up with my friends, got to bed at a reasonable hour, still managed to 'feel' that one drink this morning. Ah, liver ... I'll try to be kind to you, not put too many toxins into our system.

Later days

No comments:

Post a Comment